Celebrate Summer Safely
Summer is synonymous with barbecues, parades,
and firework displays; but along with all the
festivities are plenty of visits to the emergency
room?especially during the month of July.
Each year, around 230 people are injured badly
enough to require medical treatment after fireworks related incidents, according to the U.S. Consumer
Product Safety Commission. In addition to causing
injury, fireworks are also responsible for thousands of
house fires each year with millions of dollars in property
There is nothing like firing up the grill during the
summer months! Did you know, July is the peak month
for grill fires? A backyard barbecue can become
dangerous quickly if proper safety precautions aren't
considered. SERVPRO of North Central Austin professionals
want you to have an enjoyable and safe summer.
Consider the following tips to help ensure your summer
celebrations are disaster-free.
- Propane and charcoal barbecue grills should only
be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the
home, deck railings, and out from under eaves
and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat
buildup from the grill and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- When using a charcoal grill, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should
wear protective eyewear.
- Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning
fireworks. Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully
extinguish fireworks that don't go off or in case of
fire. Children should never pick-up fireworks that
may be left over as they may still be active.
- The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a
public display conducted by trained
If your residential or commercial property suffers
from structural fire damage, call SERVPRO of North Central Austin professionals to help make it "Like it never even