Deep Fried Turkey, Traditional as Football on Thanksgiving
A Dangerously Delicious Meal
It's is one of the pleasures of get-togethers during the holidays—cooking with your family—but cooking fires are more apt to happen when at just these times.
One American tradition is fried turkey, but just because it's a common practice doesn't mean you can take its risk for granted. Because oil is involved, frying turkey requires care and caution.
Look at this compilation of frying fails.
In terms of safety, the National Fire Protection Association gives the best advice: Don’t do it. The deep-frying process is “not suitable for safe use by even a well-informed and careful consumer.”
However, deep-fried turkey is as much a part of the fabric of America’s day of thanks as canned cranberries and football, so here are some tips from FEMA.GOV:
- Turkey fryers can easily tip over, spilling hot oil across a large area. Use your turkey fryer only outdoors on a sturdy, level surface, well away from things that can burn. Make sure to have a “3-foot kid- and pet-free zone” around your turkey fryer to protect against burn injuries.
- An overfilled cooking pot will cause oil to spill over when the turkey is placed inside. Determine the correct amount of oil needed by first placing the turkey in the pot with water.
- A partially frozen turkey will cause hot oil to splatter. Make sure your turkey is completely thawed before you fry it.
- Turkey fryers can easily overheat and start a fire. Check the temperature often with a cooking thermometer so the oil won’t overheat.
- The pot, lid, and handles of a turkey fryer can get dangerously hot and cause burn injuries. Use long cooking gloves that protect hands and arms when you handle these items.
If a cooking fire does go awry this holiday season, give us a call. We are experts in deodorization and fire restoration. Also, SERVPRO of North Central Austin is a full-service restoration company.
We provide 24/7 emergency mitigation services and complete reconstruction services, making it “Like it never even happened.” So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of North Central Austin
SERVPRO of North Central Austin specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. No matter what size disaster, from single story home and a complete high-rise, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge and resources to restore your property.