Apartment Grilling—Know the Rules, Follow Them
Safe Grilling Practices
According to the National Fire Protection Association, more than one-quarter of grill structure fires started on an exterior balcony or open porch.
According to an Austin Fire Department captain, if you want to grill here are the rules:
- The apartment management must allow tenants to have their own grills in the first place
- If the apartment management is allows you to have a grill, it must be used and stored at least five feet away, horizontally, from the nearest part of the apartment building at all times. Essentially this means that balconies are a no go and the apartment needs to be on the ground floor. See city ordinance that covers the Fire Code, section 308.1.4.
- If you're grilling below any portion of your building (for instance, if there's a balcony above your grill), the grill must be used (and stored!) at least 15 feet away from the nearest point of this overhanging portion at all times.
- Someone must be near the grill at all times when it's in use.
- If it’s a propane grill, the propane tank can never be inside the apartment—not even for storage.
- The grill also can’t ever be inside the apartment unless it is taken apart and in boxes. Unfortunately, this means it can’t be easily reassembled for use.
In Texas, most apartment balconies are tinder for a fire. We have seen fires from grills and even cigarettes.
The short advice is don’t grill your apartment balcony; however, there are solutions. Several apartment complexes provide grills around the swimming pool or park areas. Thanks to George Foreman and others you can use Contact Grills (not completely the same, but certainly safer).
If a cooking fire does go awry, give us a call. We are experts in deodorization and fire restoration. Also, SERVPRO of North Central Austin is a full-service restoration company. We provide 24/7 emergency mitigation services and complete reconstruction services, making it “Like it never even happened.”
When an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of North Central Austin
SERVPRO of North Central Austin specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. No matter what size disaster, from single story home and a complete high-rise, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge and resources to restore your property.